Episode 003: Brendon Urie (Panic! at the Disco)

003

On Episode 003 of the Voice & Verse Podcast, my guest is Brendon Urie from Panic! at the Disco. Panic!’s new album, Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die!, hit stores last November and debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard 200, matching their best chart position ever. You can pick it up on iTunes here, and read more about the making of the album in Alternative Press issue 304 (written by yours truly).

I caught up with Brendon backstage at Rams Head Live in Baltimore to talk about writing a song with Weezer’s Rivers Cuomo, his Dr. Dre mentality when it comes to composing music, and how an unlikely love inspired the first song he ever wrote. If you like what you hear, be sure to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes so you don’t miss a single episode of the stories behind your favorite songs. Thanks for listening!

12 responses to “Episode 003: Brendon Urie (Panic! at the Disco)”

1. Emily says:

I love Brendon and hearing all his back stories and inspiration in writing songs fascinates me. I have listened to them since they first came out and will always be a big fan. Wish I could meet him some day, he is amazing!

2. Erin H. says:

This is a really awesome interview and the way you present questions is just great. The stories Brendon got out were ones I’ve never heard before and I laughed so hard at “chicken taquito.” Thanks for doing this!

3. Braiden says:

This was great. The questions were to the point and different and it was definitaly worth 30 minutes out of my day. Most interviews have the same ol’ questions and repeat things you’ve heard before, but this podcast was genuinely good and got Deep in the subject. Keep doing a great job.

4. Ally says:

Great interview, and great questions!!

5. Hi Brendon !! Well I’m a huge fan of Panic! At The Disco and of you! I’m so curious to know what’s your favorite album of Panic!? The album that you loved to record and sing the songs on the show…

6. Noah Boonov says:

I saw Panic! At The Disco in Montreal and it was literally amazing. He is totally an inspiration and Panic! At The Disco is my favourite band. This interview is awesome!

7. Bee says:

The first song I ever wrote was about tacos. Yeah, I feel you Brendon. I feel you. This interview was awesome though. He’s just such a personable dude.

8. lulu says:

I LOVE YOU BRANDON <3

9. Brenda Zamora says:

I just love Panic! At The Disco so much! I probably listen to your albums a billion times….each. I can’t wait to see more of Panic’s work in the future. Keep up the great work. Great podcast!

10. Delainey Armentrout says:

I loved hearing this interview! I loved how Evan Lucy asked that question about what Brendon thought his strengths as a musician/songwriter were, it was interesting, and I am sure Brendon gets a lot of the same questions, answering questions for interviews constantly. It is always nice to hear what Brendon has to say and learn more about Panic! At The Disco’s past and to learn more about what Brendon thinks about it all and what he has learned. Brendon and Panic! At The Disco’s current and former members have all inspired me, a lot, ever since “A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out” came out. I dream of being a musician, myself, so knowing what to expect and knowing what is important is, well, important to me. Panic! At The Disco has been my favorite band ever since I can remember and I do not see that changing any time soon. My gratitude and appreciation to them all.

11. Maria says:

Thanks for putting this up! Lovely interview with very exciting questions.